You should spend about 45 minutes on this task. Write between 200 – 250 words.
Financial security is one of the reasons why people work. What other reasons are there? Write an essay stating your point of view and giving reasons to support it.
Remember, essay is a formal piece of writing so do not use any short forms and try to use vocabulary suitable to the formal language.
In the exam paper there is a space provided for notes. What to do with it? Remember the examiner will not evaluate the things you have written there, so we would recommend you to use the space for:
- a mind map (try ordering the ideas you are going to talk about, by adding additional information);
- for an outline (ordering the ideas you are going to address in each paragraph).
Then move on to the Essay:
1. Introduction – you should state your main idea and engage the reader;
2. Main body of the essay
- Ensure each point is given a new paragraph (This is very important and will give you points for the outline)
- Use words or phrases at the start of each paragraph that will indicate to the reader how it relates to the previous paragraph, eg, 'however', ‘in addition', ‘nevertheless', ‘moreover'.
- Start each paragraph with a topic sentence that clearly links the paragraph to the rest of the essay.
- Provide supporting evidence for each point that you make.
- Summarize the main ideas.
- Demonstrate how you have proven your thesis.
- Finish with an interesting or thought-provoking, but relevant, comment.
- You can also use the same ideas as in introduction just using different words.