Rules for writing formal letters. Business communication.
Write your business letters clearly and don't forget to proofread them. Don't use informal language.
1. Write your address at the top of the letter on the right.
2. Write the recipient's address below yours, but on the left.
You can write the date either on the right or on the left of the page. Don't forget to write the month in full, as a word.
Salutation or greeting
Use 'Dear Sir or Madam' if you don't know the name of the recipient. If you know the name, use Mr, Mrs (for a married woman), Miss (for a single woman) or Ms, Dr, etc. and the last name. You can use Ms if you don't know if the woman you are writing to is married.
Ending a letter
You can use different closings:
1. Yours faithfully (if you don't know the name of the recipient) and then your name below.
2. Yours sincerely (if you know the name of the recipient) and then your name below.
3. Also you can use your signature, if necessary.