Put the verbs in the brackets into the past perfect or past simple. Choose the correct answer.
1) I didn't watch TV when I (be) ____ on holiday last summer.
2) My teacher asked me why I (not do) ____ my homework.
3) I bought a new car because some thieves (steal) ____ my old one.
4) By the time the film started, many cinema-goers (arrive) ____.
5) The movie (start already) ____ when we arrived at the cinema.
6) I was frightened because the police (come) ____ for my sister.
7) He told me he (never be) ____ to Australia before.
8) I was hungry because I (not eat) ____ since breakfast.