Put the verbs in the brackets into the past perfect or past simple. Choose the correct answer.
1) I was watching the news when I (start) ____ feeling ill.
2) Yesterday afternoon I went downtown and I (meet) ____ Peter.
3) I ( finish) ____ my lesson and I was very happy at that moment.
4) By the time the film started, many cinema-goers (arrive) ____.
5) He started to read the newspaper he (buy) ____ an hour earlier.
6) She left the house after she (finish) ____ breakfast.
7) He told me he (never be) ____ to Australia before.
8) I (write) ____ a long letter to my mother yesterday.